Apparently L.A. isn't the only city with Traffic...

Apparently L.A. isn't the only city with Traffic...

Friday, January 28, 2011

Better Late than Never?

Well I've certainly dropped the ball on the blogging front. I must say I'm a little hurt, it's been nearly five months since my last entry and no one has created a "Bring Back the Blog" movement, or at least sent a mildly threatening e-mail to get my lazy butt back into the Blogosphere(is that a word?)

A common trait among the "Aries" star sign is starting something you don't finish. As a proud Aries, I am going to defeat the stereotype and continue with what I started by filling you all in on the events of the last five months. As I'm sure it would bore not only myself but all of you to detail every minute of the last 140-odd days, I've put together a little "highlight reel" for your reading pleasure. Here, in no particular order of importance, are some of the memorable events of the last five months:

Highlight #1: A visit from my mother.

OK, raise your hand if you've ridden an ATV ("All-Terrain Vehicles" for those who aren't as EXTREME-ly inclined)through Cambodian rice fields with their mother?

How about getting in a fight with a Cambodian border official and giving him the international "Kiss my *ss" gesture, before jumping into a taxi with a driver that immediately stopped to fill the trunk with unidentified rectangular goods that he just HAD to deliver to his "brother" that afternoon?

Anyone raising their hands? Oh, look at that, I am!

My mother, Virginia, braved the 24-hour journey to Bangkok at the end of August, embarking on a not-so-typical mother-daughter vacation. The highlight of her visit was the five days we spent in Siem Reap, Cambodia, visiting the beautiful Angkor Wat temples. Seriously guys, put these temples on your "Must Do Before I Die" list. We spent two full days exploring the temple ruins, with a guide who was full of charm but not-so-full of English language skills. We learned the history of the temples, as well as the sad history of Cambodia. I had no idea the scale of the tragedy that the country faced until just 20 years ago, under the rule of the Khmer Rouge. We also visited a wonderful Children's Hospital opened by a Swiss Doctor that does great work for the poverty-stricken population, as 90 percent of the Cambodian population live on less than $1 US per day. Oh, yeah, and we ATV-ed through rice fields. That was pretty sweet.

I love my mother for letting me drag her across the Thai-Cambodian border on foot, and for always exceeding my curiosity of all there is to see in this world. Her visit was a trip that I'll never forget... and hopefully I'll never see that Cambodian official again. Not my most lady-like moment.


Highlight #2: The Christmas Season in a Buddhist Country

You've gotta give them credit. The Thai's do love a good celebration, and they know how to rock that holiday spirit. I first heard "Jingle Bells" in early November, while shopping in a department store. I was suddenly taken back to the States, to the snowy days leading up to Christmas break in Boston, and to the not-so-snowy Christmas mornings in Los Angeles. Humming along as I left the store, I was snapped back into reality by a little man shouting the tried-and-true:

"SEX DVD! GOOD PRICE!"

Ah, yes. I'm still in Thailand.

Christmas in Bangkok was something I was looking forward to with a bit of dreaded anticipation- it would be my first time spending it away from home. Who was going to read me "The Night Before Christmas" before bed on Christmas eve? Who was going to make me a huge Christmas breakfast? How was SANTA going to know where I LIVED? (Ok, not really on that last one, but you get my gist)

After worrying a bit, I decided I would make the most of the Christmas season. I bought a little tree, had a tree-decorating ceremony, and made mulled wine. I wore a Santa hat for a while, until I started sweating unbearably (this country and hats = no bueno). And I listened to Christmas carols on repeat for two weeks. Most importantly, I spent the day with people I truly care about. I am lucky enough to have an amazing "family" out here that helps get me through some of the toughest days. Although spending Christmas day eating pad thai and drinking "Singha" beer isn't exactly the most traditional way to do it, I had an amazing day nonetheless. And Santa even found me way out here! That guy is awesome.

Highlight(?) Number Three: A Food-Poisoned New Years

Illnesses always seem to come at the best times, don't they? I had been looking forward to a lovely four-day New Year's weekend on the beach in Hua Hin, a little beach town a few hours outside Bangkok. I arrived at the beach good to go, jumped into my bikini and ran for the sea. Twelve hours later, I was sick as a dog and running for the toilet (pardon that mental image, but I've gotta give you the full effect.) Yes, instead of champagne, I was chugging chamomile tea and electrolyte beverages at the stroke of midnight on January 1st. Instead of lying in serenity on the beach, I was thinking about the proximity of the closest public bathroom. It was a blissful 96 hours, to say the least. But there's a bright side to everything: at least I lost some weight. A good head start on that New Years Resolution!

Highlight #4: The Great Outdoors

This highlight is more a collection of experiences than one in particular. Over the last few months, some of my favorite memories have been made outside. Thailand truly is a beautiful country, with waterfall-filled forests and white sandy beaches all within a few hours of eachother. One of my favorite outdoor experiences was the long weekend leading up to Christmas. I went to a town called Kanchanaburi with my boyfriend and spent an entire day hiking up a path of seven waterfalls. After living in the concrete confines of Bangkok, it was amazing to just breathe the air and jump into the cool pools of water at the base of each waterfall. It's amazing how rejuvenating a dip into nature can be.

So that's it, folks. A taste of what I've been up to for the last five months. Some good, some not so great, but all of them totally unforgettable. Love to everyone, and can't wait to hear all of the highlights you have to share with me.

1 comment:

  1. Cora and Amy and I are here in Ohio reading your marvelous adventures - and I started to cry,of course. We just got back from The Cheesecake Factory -- has that reached Bangkok yet? We are doing college dorm -- wearig matching Santa pj's and wishing you were here. It is snowing outside -- AGAIN! everyone here is sick of the horrible winter. We watched the Packers win the Superbowl last night on the farm, dad's surgery-eve. I am going to go read hyour next blog.

    ReplyDelete