Apparently L.A. isn't the only city with Traffic...

Apparently L.A. isn't the only city with Traffic...

Saturday, May 15, 2010

(Virtual) Reality

Urban warfare. Up until now, the closest exposure I’d had to this type of situation was watching my brother play video games on our family room couch. I remember staring at the television screen as armed soldiers made their way through deserted city streets, shooting at rebels and civilians as they ran past. Convenient store shelves were turned into army barracks and taxi cabs became tanks as a city was transformed into a battle field.

I remember being annoyed with these games growing up. I’d be trying to fall asleep, but the sporadic blasts of simulated gunfire would jolt me out of unconsciousness every few minutes. Back then, all I had to do to get some peace from the sound effects was to ask my brother to turn the TV volume down. Now that I’m living through the real thing, there isn’t such an easy solution.

Seventeen people have died since Thursday here in Bangkok, and another 150 are currently injured in hospitals. All the result of real-life urban warfare that has gripped this city for nearly three days. As I happen to be living in the center of a 4-square kilometer grid of the city that has been completely shut down for entry or exit (see picture on the left- I live in the business district by the "Red Shirt Barricade" on the bottom), I am witnessing firsthand a situation that used to only exist in virtual reality. Streets are deserted, with only the occasional persistent taxi cab searching slowly down the lanes. Army personnel exponentially outnumber civilians. Stores are closed and boarded up, and scared eyes peek out from behind second-story window shades. Gun shots ring out every few minutes, some sounding closer than others. Police helicopters circle overhead, trying to keep an eye on the perimeter of the chaos. It’s pretty damn scary.

I pick up a phone call from my boss, who lives in the north of the city. Apparently, just a few miles away, life is continuing on as usual. People sit on the streets with their friends, laughing and chatting as though nothing terrible is happening at all. The grenade blasts and gunshots are just out of ear-reach, and that means everything must be fine. It’s truly incredible how the heart of a city can be caught in the grips of urban warfare, and yet life still goes on just a few metro stops away. Unfortunately for me, I’m stuck in the center of a video game reality, one that can’t be changed by lowering the volume on a TV screen.

I’ve narrowed it down to two options: leave now or leave later. Either way, I’m pretty set on the leaving part. This urban warfare stuff isn’t as fun when it can’t be watched from a couch.

2 comments:

  1. Come home C! The US might be boring, but at least it is safe and relatively sane! And you can watch me play more video games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, honey, I love you so. What a wonderful reporter you are, and I know you are being sensible. I talked to your Dad Sunday, and he says you are reachable by phone so I will try. I remember you telling Quentin to turn down his video games...seems so cute and innocent now. I have always wanted to go to Taipei...The Times is reporting today on the devestating impact on the Thai economy of the loss of tourism. Even economically it makes sense to leave, sounds like...Anyway, keep posting!

    ReplyDelete